Saturday, April 5, 2014

Am I the Only One?--By Zona Rowand Lawrence--United States

Am I the Only One?

I am but a grain of sand in the universe
standing alone in the setting sun.
As the waves come in to shore and reverse
I wonder – am I the only one?

Those who have gone before –
were they grains of sands like me?
Is it just me who longs for more
than standing beside the sea?

Sometimes I feel so very tall
capable and serene.
Then again, less than small
dreaming of faraway fields of green –

where I can go play some ball
with friends and foe alike --
laugh and giggle through the day,
dance and ride my bike.

There must be another place to stand –
perhaps in poetry and verse –
to be more than a grain of sand --
in our beautiful universe.

After many years as a stage performer, Zona found she enjoyed writing. She studies at Paradise Valley Community College.  Her work has appeared in several anthologies at the school and elsewhere. In 2004, she won $20,000.00 for her poem, “Indiscriminate Sestina.”  She and her husband, Jack, are creating a Diet by Poetry Journal to help whittle away those pounds with a little rhyming fun. Last year in the Paradise Review her poem, “If He Had Hit Me”, won third place and her one act play, “A Shaggy Dog Story”, won second place.

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Zona! It is wonderful to once again read your awesome poetry here at Whispers! You are incredible with this one, as it defines how wonderful a creation each of us is and yet we are so small in the whole realm of things and the universe! Beautiful words, my dear friend! Come visit me at: www.poetryandbeyond.net Thanks for sharing an awesome poem! Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Zona,

    No, you are not the only one! Each time I look at the sea or view a beautiful mountainous landscape, I feel like a tiny speck of dust in the universe. It's an overwhelming feeling that you described brilliantly. I think seeing nature's beauty makes us feel insignificant because it is so vast. You will laugh and enjoy life again when the introspection evaporates and you live in the present moment. A powerful and poignant write, Zona! Love and blessings for happier times, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zona,
    Thank you for that powerful poem.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jack Horne, for the following comment--

    Zona - very much enjoyed this thoughtful piece

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zona! Hello! Welcome to Whispers! You cannot know how much I can relate to your poem, your words, your questions. So right on! I often sit on the beach, look out to sea, and wonder the very same things. Thank you for a beautiful write. Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zona, I really loved your poem and immediately I was reminded of Abraham in the Old Testament who was promised by God that his posterity would be numbered as the stars and the sand which is upon the sea shore. His posterity would be greatly blessed. So you see if you are only as a grain of sand on the sea shore you are still very important. Thank you for lots to think about. Thank you so much for sharing your talent.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Zona. I enjoyed reading your insightful poem. Welcome to Whispers and continued blessings!

    -Maurice J. Reynolds, Owner / Editor
    TGBTG! Publications / Creative Inspirations
    www.tgbtgpublictions.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you look at both sides Zona and wonder how life might have been for the ones who came before you. Your poem has really great imagery and construction in a way that keeps the reader with you from start to finish. Welcome to Whispers. Sheri hd told me you might visit here. Robert

    ReplyDelete