Friday, August 8, 2014

Bird (in India)--By Isha Wagner--New Zealand

Bird (in India)

Acres of watered grass surround the miniature palace
Peacocks strut delicately stretching out fans of plumage
Seemingly aware of being watched

Sacred bird of India, each feather with an eye spot.
Who could dream this subtle intricate design
Long slender neck, white patches over eye.
My friend Sontosh smiles at my astonishment of beauty
be not deceived, these creatures are like seductive women
Who hypnotise then kill : they keep my vices at bay.
He laughs.

I see it all as the work of the Creator, I say
We do not call it the work of God, he says
No, we say it is the play of God : a kind of dance
Do you see?
(I'm not sure I do)

Come we will drink tea
And we enter the cool marble portals.

Isha Wagner is a New Zealand poet. She has resided in many countries including Iceland, Libya, India, and Australia.  She read some of her work at the VIII International Poetry Festival held in Granada, Nicaragua, in February 2012. She has had three collections of poetry published.

5 comments:

  1. Well, to me your poem is a very beautiful dedication to a beautiful tradition. God has His plans all in order, so I can see the script is followed. Love your poem, Isha! Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Isha,

    I absolutely love your writing style! It has the delicate beauty of a peacock. You also taught me a few things. I didn't know the peacock was considered a sacred bird in India and would never expect them to be creatures who "hypnotize then kill."

    Really enjoyed the dialogue with Sontosh. Very creative and a bit amusing as well. Hope to see more of your work on "Whispers."

    Best wishes,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this. the visuals were stunning. I could see everything so clearly. very well written well done, more please. best wishes. Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isha I truly love the way you carry the reader along with you and Sontosh. I feel like I am right there with the two of you as you 'picture-write' to us about what a peacock means to the people of India. I clearly 'see' that majestic bird and you also write that it is a marvelous hunter as well. Thank you for such an entertaining and enlightening poem! Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Isha. I enjoyed your poem. Thank you for sharing it and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete