Monday, August 4, 2014

Panther - The Great Hunter--By Mary A. Couch--United States

Panther - The Great Hunter

His shadow slinks slowly through velvet grass,
haunches move in rhythm with every breath.
Piercing amber eyes gaze about for prey,
he stops, spies quarry beneath brace of oaks.

Motionless within the grass, he crouches,
a sleek black panther ready to attack.
With one bound, he rushes forth toward prey,
sharp claws grab, and toss quarry into air.

A few minutes later, ground is littered
with the shreds of a child’s lost paper kite,
scraps of red and blue cover the landscape,
and black kitten with mischievous eyes.

Mary A. Couch resides in Noblesville, Indiana, and works as an Admin Assistant for Taylored Systems, Inc. a local telecommunication company. She is the Premier Poet for the Indiana State Federation of Poetry Clubs, and she learned poetry from her mother and two grandmothers who were writers, artists and storytellers. She has been published in a variety of venues.

14 comments:

  1. Love it! Great detail and description. Vividness is clear, keeping my attention till the very last verse. Nice job, Mary. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings to you.

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mary,

    Welcome to Whispers! It is good to see you already have a lovely comment on your wonderful poem. I hope you enjoy your time spent here. Best wishes with all your writing endeavors. Please let me know if you have any questions.

    Sincerely,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jack Horne, for the following--

    Mary - awww, love this

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, ha! Very cute and originally creative! A fun read! Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it - since it was supposed to be humorous

      Delete
  5. Mary, I loved it! Welcome to Whispers and thank you for sharing your talent. I loved the analogy of a kitten being a panther. How I love to watch kittens and your description of how they play is right on. I enjoyed the read.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kittens are such interesting creatures to watch I have always enjoyed writing about their antics

      Delete
  6. Dear Mary,

    You really had me going until the last couple lines. LOVE the humor you display here! What a witty poem.

    Love,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn - I love writing humorous poetry

      Delete
  7. Loved it Mary took me from the fierce and wonderful panther and his/her incredible hunting techniques and I was even feeling sad for the hapless victim of their skills. Then you up and trick me with a black kitten and a kite! Bravo, ha ha! Loved the poem and a hearty welcome to this site. I will be looking to see what else you bring to Whispers! Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have written several poems that have twisted endings they are so much fun to do as everyone thinks one thing is going to happen and then boom it is totally something else

      Delete
  8. Mary, love the shadow turning into the little kitten at the end, and I love cat's antics as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Marlene this is one of my favorites on cats

    ReplyDelete