Wednesday, November 5, 2014

My Grandfather Clock--By Robert L. Hinshaw--United States

My Grandfather Clock

Its sonorous tone has struck the hours for well over a hundred years,
But time hath surely taken its toll on its weary wheels and gears.
'Tis built of sturdy oak by craftsmen who took pride in their guild.
My old friend stands nigh seven feet tall and leaves my life fulfilled.

To keep fit he needs a tune-up now and then as all we old guys do.
And with a generous squirt of oil here and there he runs just like new.
His beaming face shines and his rhythmic tick-tock tells me all is well.
He's a dear and treasured companion for all who in this home do dwell.

Oh! If only he could talk of the many things he's witnessed during his life.
Birth, death, sad and happy times, the struggles of foolish man in strife.
Old Grandpa has been quite the world traveler since his birth in Bavaria.
He's been to Japan and all over America - he's surely covered lots of area!

How comforting it is to hear his soothing chimes in the still of the night,
Knowing that he is keeping time for me and that everything is alright.
With each pendulum swing he reminds me that my time on earth is measured,
Time I daren't squander - time with friends and family that must be treasured.

Robert L. Hinshaw served 30 years in the Air Force retiring in 1978 in the grade of Chief Master Sergeant. He began writing poetry in 2002 at age 72 and has composed over 1100 poems.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, Robert! Love how you've given a deep soul to this dedication to and of the stately "grandfather clock" - your poem and usage of this clock as a "living metaphor" is awesome, touching and creative! A plus to read! Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful reminder of two things; first of the importance of traditional things in our lives and second of the importance of living life every day as "...time on earth is measured,...". It's a wonderful poem. Thank you.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robert. Blessings to you on this Veteran's Day! First I want to say thank you for your service to this country and second, I want to thank you for sharing such a warm and heart-felt poem in "My Grandfather Clock." I enjoyed it. Continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Robert,

    I so enjoyed your write on the Grandfather Clock it brought back memories of the one my Grandparents had in their home. Your personification of the clock and how it lives and holds memories was wonderfully written. As well as showing us the comfort it has given you throughout the years you remind us that the time we have on this earth is precious. Thank you for sharing this lovely poem with us.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete