Friday, November 20, 2015

Special Feature Collaborative Poem--By Jack Horne--England and Constance LaFrance--Canada

Christmas Memories

By Jack Horne and Constance LaFrance

We walked through Whitleigh, early one winter evening,
many moons ago, with the sounds of the Salvation Army Band:
a carol service near the shops and I asked if we could stop.
We joined the jolly carolers and sang Star of Wonder,
the lyrics on a large screen, for those who didn't know them.
A dreary December night, but I recall feeling wonderfully warm:
it seemed to start inside and spread, filling my heart with happiness,
as I held my parents' hands, we only sang that one song,
for we were going to gran's, but I still smile at my memories
of a child's first carol service .... and wonder who else remembers.

The snow is falling outside my window, pretty delicate snowflakes,
It is another Christmas Eve, and I want to decorate the tree,
I got the tattered box from the basement that holds the decorations.
Within are all the memories of Christmas pasts,
And in my mind, I can still see all the happiness of yesterdays;
I see my sweet mother cooking and fussing about the house,
And I am helping father with the Christmas tree,
And gran is supervising from her rocking chair.
I touch each old decoration like the finest of lace and weep,
Weep for the three angels ... that dwell above.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you, Andrea Dietrich, for the following--

    Wonderful job from two of my favorite poets. Keep at it. You make a great duo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack,
    Thank you for introducing us to another fine poet! Welcome to Whispers, Constance, and as Andrea said, you make a great duo.
    Your new friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely collaboration Jack & Constance. I enjoyed reading your heartfelt poem. Good wishes, Chris~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how charming and well written, Jack and Constance. I can just feel the love in the whole of it; such tender memories of Christmas' past. Thank you for sharing your wonderful talents.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jack and Constance, what great and delicate a Christmas remembrance, well written by four hands and all of us happily are joining to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a poignant poem that fills up my heart as I read it. Lovely, lovely writ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Poem with the sweet gushes of old memories which always refresh our mind and hearts. Love and best wishes always dear friend. Ravindra K Kapoor

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jack and Constance,

    Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful poem with us. It brought back memories for me. Welcome to Whispers Constance! I hope you enjoy your time spent with us.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Isha Wagner, for the following--

    This verse brings nostalgic tears to my eyes as it describes so wonderfully the joys of Christmas, the memories that flood back during the childhood time when innocence
    abounds. A very real description of Christmas as experienced by thousands across the world.

    Yours sincerely
    Isha Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done, Jack and Constance! This poem fits the Christmas spirit which already can be felt in the air. Nostalgic memories that are revived from time to time...lovely yet sad. The older we grow such memories take on more meaning. ~ All the best. // paul

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Phyllis Babcock, for the following--

    Jack and Constance what a beautiful poem of memories past. At this time of year we miss the people who are no longer with us. It warms us to hold those memories close in our hearts. Nice collaboration my friends. love phyl

    ReplyDelete