Sunday, November 1, 2015

With Kevin--By Lois Greene Stone--United States

With Kevin

Tiny fingers flung duck food into the water.
"Why do stones sink and boats float?"
He challenged my learning with such
questions. Ducks paddled closer to the edge
pushing beaks into morsels. We dropped
some on the bank to welcome birds.
He thanked me for the walk along the canal
and feeding ducks. August 2015,
fingers flung duck food into the water.
The cracked corn felt smooth and we
trickled some on the bank for the birds.
Ducks paddled competing for nourishment.
"Do you remember...?" I questioned.
His strong fingers touched my hand.
"Not too many twenty-three year old
boys would enjoy feeding ducks
with Grandma," and now I thanked
him for taking me.

Lois Greene Stone, writer and poet, has been syndicated worldwide. Poetry and personal essays have been included in hard & soft cover book anthologies. Collections of her personal items/ photos/ memorabilia are in major museums including twelve different divisions of The Smithsonian.

5 comments:

  1. What a powerful write my friend. I really enjoyed reading your tremendous poem this evening. You have delighted me by your overwhelming piece, great work,

    Russell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this piece Lois, always enjoy seeing your work. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your touching piece. Best wishes Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing poem. Thank you for sharing it here at Whispers. - Laura M Kaminski

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww, smiled as I read this sweet poem

    ReplyDelete